Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pack Rank and Leadership

Something interesting has happened over the years within my pack. It’s about leadership, not dominance, not “alpha-omega” stuff.

This is all about the girls in my pack. The boys really haven’t played a role in the hierarchical changes that have occurred.

Many people are surprised to hear when someone has multiple dogs in the house. Usually 2 isn’t a shock, but when I say 5 (4 collies and a malamute), there’s always a stunned reaction usually followed by the question “So who’s the alpha?”

“I am” is the obvious answer. Certainly there is hierarchy – I’m not one to deny social structure within any group, whether comprised of dogs, people, or mixed-species groups.

Sometimes people push, and insist on knowing who’s the alpha among the dogs, excluding me. I would ponder, because I wasn’t always sure, and that made me doubt my observation skills and by extension my training skills. Joella, my first, my heart-dog, my only true love. It could only be her. I would never allow anyone to supplant her.

But what about her demeanor ever said alpha? She would willingly give up her toys, her bones, her bed, her food to any dog that moved in and wanted it. I would stand close to make sure she could eat without harassment. She never fought. She walked behind me. She walked behind all other dogs as well.

Seadhna on the other hand, is willing to fight. She splits up any play sessions that do not involve her. She takes all toys and refuses to allow anyone to eat in peace. Talk about pulling on lead! She pulls a sled harder and better that my malamute who’s 2.5 times her weight. She controls interactions and access. She walks ahead of everyone. She picks fights. She is scrappy.

Not with Jo, mind you, with Korey, my second dog and keenest competition dog – and therefore the one I spent the most time training. Korey was attentive to me, intense, keen, alert. She preferred work to play, and engaged only with Jo. If I had to describe her it was always regal. Truly aristocratic.

It seems from these descriptions of their behavior, Seadhna was obviously alpha, and Joella the omega, despite my feelings.

Korey was the first to leave me. Soon after she crossed, Aisling joined us. Then the real fights began. While Seadhna and Korey argued, Seadhna and Aisling FOUGHT. To the tune of a de-gloved front leg, broken elbow, surgery, emergency room visits, and possibly an elbow replacement still in the future. Seadhna always lost.

So who’s alpha bitch? Seadhna will never back down, never submit to Aisling. It’s not in her nature. Even though she’s never won a fight, is 10 pounds lighter, 2 inches shorter, and 12 years old now (to Aisling’s 6 years.)

Using behavior-described dominance criteria, Aisling is obviously alpha because she wins. But Seadhna won’t let go of her status and submit. Classic bitch fights.

I learned to manage the household. As long as food or valuable resources were never involved, and I watched their attitudes to each other, fed separately, and never left them alone, I could still break up any fights that did occur. Whether or not I should have placed Aisling is another topic. Keeping her has taught me a lot, and I don’t regret it.

Then Jo left me. At age 13.5, struggling to walk, wandering into corners, forgetting, crying, and confused.

And Seadhna and Aisling haven’t had a fight since.

What I have come to realize is that Jo was alpha bitch all along.

Leadership is subtle. It’s the little things that matter…

Four years ago, when I could still feed everyone bones outside of their crates, I watched as Indy the malamute tried (as he had done many times before) to take Jo’s bone – a big meaty chunk of venison vertebrae. Jo did an amazing quiet little lip lift you could barely see, then continued to gnaw quietly. Indy and the three other collies (who hadn’t tried to take it) all dropped to their bellies, crawled backwards, averting their gaze, licking their lips, and blinking. Only after several seconds did anyone else resume eating.

She could flatten any other dog with a look, too. I used her when I worked with aggressive dogs sometimes, when I needed a dog who could communicate exquisitely from a distance. She was amazing – other dogs calmed in her presence. We got work done.

Seadhna’s always done a raised leg urination, Aisling never. Aisling pees first, then Seadhna over marks, sometimes not waiting for Aisling to finish. Aisling will sniff a spot, and if it’s Seadhna’s scent from a previous pee, will actively avoid that area, circling as wide as her leash will allow. And on walks, it’s Seadhna who checks out every tree, every spot alongside my top male Indy (whom she also over marks). Years ago, when it was between Korey and Seadhna, they over marked each other, but Seadhna always peed last.

No one ever over marked Jo’s pee (she squatted). And she never over marked anyone else’s.

Once Jo was gone, Seadhna moved into her position but can never take her place. Seadhna’s role as Queen Bee is solid, and Aisling’s role is more clearly defined as well. No longer are they fighting for 2nd place. Aisling doesn’t have the leadership qualities, the presence, the confidence to ever supplant Seadhna, nor would Sea ever allow that.

The pack is definitely more active, more chaotic with Seadhna as leader, but less volatile too. She’s become sweeter towards me as well. Perhaps that’s because I’m nostalgic for the old days of Jo, Korey, and Seadhna. Perhaps she’s blossomed with the confidence of leadership.

Leadership isn’t defined by behavior. It’s not entirely attitude. What’s valuable to one individual at a particular time doesn’t determine status either.

Jo was a leader through and through, even though she gave up whatever she had. Her behavior didn’t support the common understanding of dominant behavior. Her extremely occasional defense of her resources was made more powerful (to me at least and perhaps to the other dogs) by her magnanimous nature. Why did she prefer to walk behind me – in winter I understand it’s easier to follow than break trail, but always? If someone asked me while out on a walk, who was alpha, and I pointed behind me, wouldn’t the other person have laughed? It was her presence, her confidence,… she led from behind.

Seadhna’s leadership is quite different. Yes, she will fight. But she won her position through time, and loss. Not superior fighting ability – she’s smaller, lighter, and older than her rivals. Now that she has position, she doesn’t need to fight. I suspect that if another female were to challenge her on the basis of physicality, she would resume her fights with Aisling for second place.

Someday Seadhna will leave me as well, and perhaps Aisling will get the chance to be alpha bitch. Perhaps I’ll have added another female by then, so who knows?

Dominance and leadership aren’t synonymous. Maintaining access to a particular resource isn’t leadership. Giving it away may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment